Skip to main content

The Mysterines - Afraid Of Tomorrows Review - Cohesive, Captivating & VERY Cool...


Picture this I’m on my daily lunchtime walk, the sun is shining, and I've just placed my first-generation AirPods (Rock and Roll, I know) in my ears and pressed play on Afraid Of Tomorrows. What greeted my ears left me gobsmacked. "The Last Dance" was four and a half minutes of absolute musical therapy. I went from casually strolling to feeling as though I could complete the London Marathon. It was pure adrenaline-driven euphoria—the perfect way to start an album, and it left me excited for the rest of it.

What really made Afraid Of Tomorrows stand out for me was the wonderful storytelling throughout the album. Each song felt like a different award-winning Netflix series. One minute, I'm battling the Demogorgon in "Sink Ya Teeth," the next I'm falling in love like Penelope from Bridgerton through the song "Hawkmoon." I always say that if songs don't make you feel an emotion when you listen, they’re not good songs. But throughout Afraid Of Tomorrows, I felt a contrasting range of emotions for each song, which showed how great this album really is. 

What followed was a cohesive, story-driven, musically brilliant second album from The Mysterines. The Wirral-based four-piece have to be one of the coolest bands in the industry at the moment. From their positively unique vibe to their wonderful musicality, The Mysterines are the type of band you want as your friends (I am taking friend requests, by the way).


When listening to an album for the first time, I always look for cohesion—do these songs sound like they should be together? In the 21st century, we are starting to get more albums that feel like 11 good songs rather than a cohesive album. However, this cannot be said about Afraid Of Tomorrows. The cohesion on this album is top-notch.

One of the standout songs for me was "Hawkmoon." It was unlike anything I've heard before but in the best way. Starting off slow and rather mysterious, it eventually builds into a song that showcases the brilliant musical talent of the entire band. From Lia's exquisite vocals to Callum's quality riffs, this song really does showcase The Mysterines at their best.

Afraid Of Tomorrows is a brilliant follow-up to their 2022 album Reelings, and I can't wait to see how these new songs will fit into their live setlist. The Mysterines are definitely a band to keep an eye and an ear out for in the future.

Star Rating

Out Of 5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twenty One Pilots - Clancy Review – Clancy Provides A Fitting Conclusion To The Dema Storyline…

  “Welcome back to Trench” are the first words of the duo's song "Overcompensate" from their seventh studio album, Clancy. While many fans hoped for a Trench 2.0, Clancy couldn't be further from it if it tried. The ‘Dema’ story line has been a fixture in Twenty One Pilots’ music since 2018’s Trench. Listeners are willingly thrown into a narrative where the main protagonist, Clancy—revealed to be Tyler Joseph at the start of this album cycle—attempts to escape a fictional dystopia called Dema. This story line is largely a metaphor for Tyler’s mental health. It's easy to empathise with Tyler, who began this story line as a relatively young man. Fast forward eight years, and after a global pandemic, a wedding, and fatherhood, continuing this dystopian narrative was always going to be challenging. One of the highlights of this album is "Next Semester," which genuinely gave me severe whiplash in the best way possible (Hey kid, get out of the road!). From hea...